Sophia joined FOURTEEN as a probationary tenant in September 2023 following completion of her pupillage at a leading matrimonial finance set. Throughout her pupillage, Sophia assisted in several complex financial remedy cases in the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal and the High Court.
Sophia welcomes instructions in all areas of family law and can provide representation and advice at any stage in proceedings. She has particular experience in financial remedies, cohabitation disputes under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996, and private children proceedings.
Prior to joining the Bar, Sophia taught Law at Durham University, specialising in Trusts and Equity, Land Law, and Family Property. This has equipped her with an extensive knowledge of case law and a calm, assiduous approach which she applies to her work. Outside of practice, she maintains an academic interest in family law and writes articles for legal journals.
Durham University, Bachelor of Laws - First Class Honours (2020)
Durham University, Master of Jurisprudence - Pass with No Corrections, highest mark (2022)
City Law School, Bar Vocational Studies BVS - Very Competent (2022)
Scholarships & Awards
City Law School Bar Vocational Studies Scholarship (2022)
Middle Temple Harmsworth Scholarship (2020)
Durham Law School Master of Jurisprudence Scholarship (2020)
Durham Law School Hefin Rees KC Media Law Prize (2020)
Durham Law School Amicus Moot Winner (2018)
St Cuthbert’s Society Debate Winner (2017)
Family Law Bar Association
• ‘Breaking the Glass Ceiling – DR v UG  EWFC 68’  Financial Remedies Journal
• ‘The Compensation Principle and Remuneration for Career “Sacrifice”- TM v KM  EWFC 155’  Financial Remedies Journal
• ‘The Legal Limbo of Cohabitants: Time for Reform?’  The Barrister
• ‘Trusts of the Family Home, the Familialisation of Property Law and the Potential for Judicial Development’  Durham e-thesis
• ‘“Alimony Drones” and “Gold-Diggers”: Protecting Economic Vulnerability through Spousal Maintenance Orders’  Durham Law Review