One of the biggest changes to UK society in the last two decades has been the increasing recognition, and integration, of the LGBTQ+ community. The Family Courts are starting to catch up.
It is more essential than ever for each practitioner, whatever their background, to be familiar with the LGBTQ+ community, relevant descriptive terminology and the law and issues of particular relevance to LGBTQ+ parents, children and wider family members.
Christopher Miller’s session at the MBL Private Children Law – 2022 Virtual Confernce will cover:
- Online resources available
- Key terminology
- Practical issues, such as the use of pronouns
- Discrimination in the Family Courts
- Decision making in family cases where LGBTQ+ parents or children have been at the centre of the issues in dispute
The full conference programme on 28th September 2022 comprises:
- 10am-11am: Private Law Children Update
- 11:10am-12:10pm: LGBTQ+ in Private Children Law Disputes
- 12:10pm-1:10pm: The ‘Parens Patriae Doctrine – An Alternative Jurisdiction for Children’s Applications in England and Wales?
- 2:00 – 3:00 pm: Special Guardianship Orders
- 3:15-4:15pm: Internal Relocation
For further information and to book a place, please click here.